Saturday, May 11, 2019

A Joke as a Weapon


I wandered over to my Instagram feed this evening.

Mostly to review any new and fabulous photos that may have been posted by the many photographers that I follow throughout the day today.

And…

My eyes and heart were confronted by what someone in my growing group of people that I follow and some who follow me…

…by…

A picture.

From my perspective, a picture that I thought was rather innocent and quaintly honoring to mothers. Mothers who in relationship with their God, spend time on their knees in prayer for their families, their friends and the world at large.

I would not have even thought to make an ugly, perverse or otherwise dishonoring joke about it.

But, this person certainly did.

Most of the time. Especially nowadays, I usually just would have made a comment to myself about people being… idiots, jerks, perverts, over-indulged and irresponsible brats… and then let it go.

But, this time I didn’t. This time I waded in and said what was on my heart.

I am not close to this person and I cannot claim any particular friendship, but because of family connections, I would call them… extended family.

And, for that reason, as well as the fact that this person is young enough to be my own child, I chose to call them out.

You see, we live in a world that is becoming increasingly hostile to people of faith… people who claim Jesus as their Lord and Savior.

And, no, I don’t expect everyone to believe as I do, or to accept what I say at face value. I know very well that I am imperfect. I know very well that my tongue and my pen and my computer can and have gotten me into trouble.

I’ll say it again… I’m not perfect… but God is perfecting me. I’m a person who is not without sin and I need God’s help every single day to live as I ought to. And, I don’t always get it right. This side of eternity, I don’t expect I will.

All that rabbit trail being said, I forgive this person for their rudeness and thoughtless use of an off color joke to make fun of those of us who put our faith into action through prayer… and yes, sometimes physically on our knees in reverence and humility before the God who created us.

We are fighting battles you see. Battles for our world that many others don’t ever witness. Battles for our loved ones that go unnoticed and unappreciated by those that may even be the subject of those very prayers.

They don’t understand. Maybe they never will. But God does. And He notices. And He hears.

I chose not to call this person out here. And I won’t. I did call them out on Instagram. And though it may temporarily earn me some grief from them or the others who joined in the “ugliness” in mocking those of faith. I won’t take back what I said. I said it in a certain sense of humility, and I told the truth.

We’re not expected to crawl in a hole when the truth needs to be said.

And, we don’t have to pretend that we approve of someone else’s bad behavior. Sometimes it needs to be called out, even at the risk of our becoming a target of further bad behavior.

Nobody who’s called out for doing wrong will react very well, at least not initially.

But, we cannot, must not, live our lives in fear and act like it’s ok for those who do not believe the way we do to mistreat us and pretend that it’s ok.

What will happen tomorrow when this other person sees what I wrote? I don’t know.

But I do care.

Because ugliness. Whether it’s disguised as a thin attempt at humor or not… is just ugliness.

I encourage you today and every day to honor those who go before you. Those who have fought battles on their knees in prayer for you and others.

Honor your Mom today and every day. After all, it’s Mother’s Day isn’t it?

As always… Seize the day!

Sincerely,

Mike <><


Put on the full armor of God, so that you can make your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this world's darkness, and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13Therefore take up the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you will be able to stand your ground, and having done everything, to stand.…  Ephesians 6:11-13

1 comment:

  1. Being your dad, I agree with you, that words are life and death, pure or poison, up-lifting or a put-down and so often intercepted by impure and unholy minds. This P.C. oriented culture in infected with a deadly virus: Sin! Let writers and readers beware!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Please take the time to leave me your comments or just to say hello. I would love to hear from you! Thanks for spending some of your time with me. Kind regards, Mike Meehan